The 85th Academy Awards are this Sunday, February 24, and if you haven’t brushed up on the nominees there are plenty of ways to catch up. Here are the best ways to keep track of the Oscars to get the buzz before, during, and after the award show.
In case you missed it, here are the major category nominees:
- Amour – Margaret Menegoz, Stefan Arndt, Veit Heiduschka and Michael Katz, Producers
- Life of Pi – Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers
- Argo – Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, Producers
- Lincoln – Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Silver Linings Playbook – Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
- Django Unchained – Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers
- Zero Dark Thirty – Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers
- Les Miserables – Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
Actor in a leading role:
- Bradley Cooper – Silver Lining Playbook
- Joaquin Phenoix – The Master
- Denzel Washington – Flight
- Hugh Jackman – Les Miserables
- Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln
Actress in a leading role:
- Quvezhane Wallis – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook
- Naomi Watts – The impossible
- Emmanuelle Riva – Amour
- Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty
- Alan Arkin – Argo
- Robert De Niro – Silver Linings Playbook
- Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master
- Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln
- Christoph Waltz – Django Unchained
- Amy Adams – The Master
- Sally Field – Lincoln
- Anne Hathaway – Les Miserables
- Helen Hunt – The Sessions
- Jacki Weaver – Silver Linings Playbook
- Brave – Mark Andrews & Brena Chapman
- Frankenweenie – Tim Burton
- ParaNorman – Sam Fell and Chris Butler
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits – Peter Lord
- Wreck-It Ralph – Rich Moore
Miss one of the films?
To catch up on the nominated films that you missed, there are sites such as Can I Stream It? that will search for a movie or TV show and populate as many options as possible for watching it. For instance, searching for Argo shows every outlet that is offering a digital rental such as iTunes, Google Play, Vudu, Youtube; where the movie can be purchased digitally such as on Amazon, where the DVD or Blu-Ray can be purchased.
Want to wait until the movie is available on a service not listed yet? Just set up notifications for outlets such as Netflix, Xfinity, HBO, Starz, Red Box, and more. Unfortunately since the nominated films are recent, many of them are not available streaming yet. However, many are available to rent from iTunes and Amazon.
Live blogs & streams
For anyone that will not be able to watch the Oscars Live or wants to keep up socially while watching, here are a few sources that will be live streaming coverage from the event or will have a live blog.
- The Associated Press will be covering the event with a live stream on Sunday.
- ABC has an official Oscars page where viewers can follow along as well as watch the event live online.
- Yahoo! will also cover the 85th Academy Awards before and after, but will not be providing a live stream of the event its self.
- Oscars App – The official Oscars app from ABC can keep any award show watcher in the know with information on nominees, movie trailers, hosted specials, virtual ballot casting, and more. The app also lets the user watch live coverage with hosts in “watch mode” or in “direct mode”, which lets the user choose what cameras they want to see at that time. The app is available for free in the Apple App Store for iOS, Google Play store for Android, and in the Amazon Appstore for Android.
- TMZ App- Keep up with TMZ to get the latest gossip from the red carpet. The app integrates Twitter and Facebook so users are able to keep up with everyone in one place. The TMZ app is available for free for iOS and Android.
- E! Live From The Red Carpet – The official red carpet app from E! will give users full access to all red carpet news with multiple camera options. The E! Live From The Red Carpet app is available for free for iOS and Android.
- TOK For Oscars – The TOK For Oscars app is a second screen app that features an interactive user interface with information on the academy awards while also letting up to 4 users voice chat. This app is only compatible with the Apple iPad and can be found for free in the App Store.
Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
Twitter is a great way to keep up in live time while connecting with others while watching the Oscars. Some Hashtags to follow now on Twitter and Instagram are #oscars #oscars2013 #academyawards. Keep an eye out for tags that pop up during the live show, people rarely miss pointing out any funny or awkward moments during such events.
The Oscars are on Facebook as well, and ABC has been updating the page regularly with breaking news about the show this Sunday. Twitter and Instagram are great for getting behind the scenes gossip and photos, one account to keep up with is the official Oscars handle, @theacademy.
Those interested in the Oscars fashion can follow well known E! correspondents GiulianaRancic (@GiulianaRancic) and Ryan Seacrest (@RyanSeacrest) who will be covering the red carpet. Ellen Degeneress (@TheEllenShow) will not be hosting, but she regularly posts to her Twitter and Instagram accounts with photos of celebrities and behind the scenes looks at events.
Follow announcers Seth MacFarlane (@SethMacFarlane) and Emma Stone on Twitter (@stonenobrien). Emma Stone has yet to tweet on her verified account, but gets props from the TG team for the creative handle.
Search for any nominee to see if they have a verified Instagram or Twitter account, some celebrities upload photos of themselves during the event or offer up opinions and quips in real time.